If you are someone who seeks adventure wherever you go, you are probably looking forward to partaking in some activities that will get your adrenaline rushing and your heart pounding when you travel. From sky diving to hang gliding, and from spelunking to mountain climbing, there are so many incredible adventures that are just waiting to be had around the world.
When you’re planning a trip, there’s no doubt that you are looking for locations that will allow you to include some awesome adventures on your itinerary. While you’re preparing for your trip, there’s one thing that you don’t want to forget to do: take out an adventure travel insurance policy.
As the name suggests, adventure travel insurance policy offers coverage for adventurous activities. This type of insurance policy offers financial protection for medical care, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, trip cancellation and more. These plans are different than standard trip insurance policies, as they are specifically designed with adventure travelers in mind.
What Types of Risks are Adventure Travelers Prone to?
There are a number of unforeseeable things that can happen when anyone is traveling, but for adventure travelers, the risks of an emergency that could impact a trip are far greater than the average traveler. The very nature of the activities that you partake in increase the risk of being harmed, and adventure travel insurance will protect you from the financial troubles that will undoubtedly come along with an accident, injury or even death (not to sound morbid, but when you’re planning on partaking in an adventurous activity, such as spelunking, it must be mentioned.)
Here’s a few scenarios that adventure travelers are at risk of experiencing:
- While you’re exploring the rainforest in Costa Rica, you are exposed to a dangerous virus, get violently ill and have to spend time in the hospital to get the medical treatment that you need.
- You are spelunking in a cave in on a remote location in Thailand and not only do you have to be evacuated to another location to receive medical care, but your trip is also cut short.
- You paid for an African safari, but when you arrive, the business you booked the safari with is closed.
- You have planned a scuba trip in Cozumel, but just days before your scheduled to leave, a hurricane hits the area and wipes it out.
Adventure travel insurance will protect you from the financial fallout that could occur as a result of these or any other type of situation. It will not only cover the cost of medical care and an emergency medical evacuation, but it will also reimburse you if your trip is canceled, cut short or if a business that you booked an adventure with on your trip is closed.
What type of coverage is offered with an adventure travel insurance policy?
There are a number of situations that an adventure travel insurance policy will cover. While you can adjust your policy to ensure that it offers the specific coverage that you need, the following coverage options will be the most useful to you if you are an adventure traveler:
- Medical coverage is, without a doubt, the most useful type of coverage that an adventure travel insurance policy should offer. It offers either pre-paid payments for medical care, or reimburses you for medical care that you might receive on your trip.
- Emergency medical evacuation coverage is also very useful, especially if you are planning on traveling to a remote location. This coverage will cover the cost of evacuating you from a remote location to a location where you can get the medical care that you need.
- Trip cancellation coverage, which will reimburse you the moneys spent on any pre-paid, non refundable costs if your trip is canceled.
- Accidental death and dismemberment coverage, which will provide you and your family with a lump sum payment if you end up becoming disabled or you die on your trip.
- Travel delay coverage, which will cover the cost of any unexpected money that you may have to spend if your trip is delayed, such as lodging, transportation and food.
When should you purchase adventure travel insurance?
I suggest buying an adventure travel insurance policy immediately after you book your trip and make your first payment. It’s important to purchase your policy in a timely manner so that you are covered should your trip be canceled for any reason; if you have a pre-existing medical condition or if there is a natural disaster that could prevent you from going on your trip.
Make sure that you purchase your adventure travel insurance policy from a reputable provider. The last thing you want to have happen is find out that the provider went out of business and you actually need the coverage.